Date: January 29th, 2011 Author: Kitmitsu
News Category: Final Fantasy XIII-2
Tags: Famitsu, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Interview, Motomu Toriyama, Yoshinori Kitase
Continuing the first part, Famitsu has posted their Final Fantasy XIII-2 interview from the 1st Production Premier. The interview with Kitase and Toriyama, answers the basics that many of us are unclear about with the sequel as well as more complex questions concerning story tie-ins with bonus material provided with the original. The interview has been translated and summarised (all be it, in great detail) by Andriasang and is available in it’s entirety below.
FINAL FANTASY XIII-2
The Final Fantasy XIII-2 part of the interview is story focused, so those who haven’t finished FFXIII may want to avoid reading the summary. I ain’t spoiler taggin’ nothin’.
Famitsu first asked for a recap of how the project came to be. The main reason they decided to make a sequel, said Toriyama, is that there was demand throughout the world. In addition to this, Toriyama and the development staff wanted to portray the Lightning character further. The original FFXIII ended with a lingering question: is Lightning really happy? Final Fantasy XIII-2 will come to a clear conclusion.
The “Episode I” after story novella that was included as a bonus with the first print run of the Japanese Xbox 360 version of Final Fantasy XIII serves as the prologue of XIII-2. Famitsu pointed out that Episode I shows the various characters from FFXIII returning to their normal lives. Does this mean that Lightning will be on her own? Also, Famitsu asked, will the purpose of Lightning’s new journey be to find a method of helping Vanille and Fang?
Regarding the latter point, Toriyama noted that being helped by the sacrifice of the two characters left a wound in the hearts of everyone. The story will of course show not just Lightning, but the other allies who were hurt by that, Toriyama assured. Additionally, there will be a number of new characters.
Similar to the Dengeki interview, Famitsu’s interviewers asked if there would be any Final Fantasy X-2 style dancing and singing in XIII-2. XIII-2 will have have a serious direction, Kitase replied. Toriyama noted that considering Vanille and Fang are gone and the world is in a state where Cocoon had fallen, there’s no way for the new story to be totally peaceful. XIII-2 will have a darker and more mysterious side over XIII.
Famitsu asked if XIII-2 will possibly being set in the dark world that Lightning is wandering around in at the end of the Episode I novella. Toriyama responded that the principal setting will be different from that of XIII, but he assured that the FFXIII world will be in the game in some form.
As part of the story of the original, Lightning has lost her l’Cie abilities (summons, casting magic, etc.). In response to this observation from Famitsu, Toriyama joked that perhaps Lightning has become an even more incredible existence than a l’Cie. Famitsu countered that she certainly has become sexier. Toriyama responded that even though she’s probably more explosed (I must be missing something here because she doesn’t look more exposed to me!), similar to the original, they’re valuing her refined and noble qualities. He added that her clothing has a more fantasy feel to it this time, and the design of her weapons and other such items will match.
Commenting on the trailer, Famitsu noted that there’s a scene which shows Lightning standing in front of what looks like an alter. That’s actually not an altar but a seat, corrected Toriyama, and it has great significance.
Famitsu also pointed out that when Lighthing and the mysterious new guy shown in the trailer line up back to back, they look like angel and devil. “Which is the angel and which is the devil?” joked Toriyama. He added, Lightning has a new mission this time, and as she attempts to fulfill this mission, she’ll end up in a confrontation with the guy. He’s a powerful character who can fight on equivalent ground with Lightning, the hero who saved the world.
One final point: if you have Final Fantasy XIII save data, you may want to hold on to it. The team is investigating the possibility of giving something to players who have save data in place.
As well as the other Fabula Nova Crystallis titles, Final Fantasy Type-0 will have new details revealed in this weeks Dengeki. The article will comprise of a four page spread with an additional page dedicated to an interview with Yoshinori Kitase and Motomu Toriyama. Here are the new details for Type-0 that have leaked out so far.
• The keyword for the battle system is “Magic in Action.” While you have weapons, magic is main.
• A main concept is “It’s not necessary for everyone to gather.” The game has a multiplayer system that can be enjoyed by • solo players too.
• You can join other players’ games for three minutes. While you can extend this, Type-0 is not the type of game where you play together with other players continuously.
• The game will have 12+2 main characters. This means that in addition to the 12 main characters, there will be two characters, Makina and Rem, in a different framework. These 12+2 characters will be your controllable party.
• You can have up to three characters out in battle simultaneously. Once someone dies, other members will come out to help.
• Until you come to the battle field, you move around the world map and execute a strategy.
• As you play on your own, other players will gradually take part in the battle.
• When you help other players, you earn points.
• In general, your full party heads to the battle field together.
Update – Extended version: Andriasang
With Dengeki and Famitsu both coming out with new Fabula Nova Crystallis articles this week, it was inevitable that information would leak out early. Final Fantasy XIII-2 will be covered in a two page spread in this weeks Dengeki with a one page interview with director Motomu Toriyama and producer Yoshinori Kitase. Here are the key details covered in the article that have been leaked so far.
• XIII-2′s story begins in Gran Pulse after the ending of XIII.
• The story will feel like it expands out from the after story that was included in the booklet with Xbox 360′s Final Fantasy XIII International.
• Outside of Lightning, other characters will appear in the game in unexpected forms. Some will see major changes.
• XIII-2 is a full sequel. You’ll learn some of the things that took place in the background scenes of XIII.
• The story will be more dark and mysterious than XIII’s.
• The story will focus on the goddess Etro.
• The game will not have the pop feel of Final Fantasy X-2
• The battle system will be an evolved form of XIII’s ATB system.
• They’re listening to opinions both inside and outside of Square Enix and from outside of Japan regarding characters, story and interface.
• There may be a difficulty setting.
UPDATE: Extended Version – Andriasang