Go Back   Final Fantasy XIII Forums > Square-Enix > Final Fantasy > Final Fantasy I-VI
Register Forum Rules FAQChatbox Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

View Poll Results: Have you ever played and finished FF2?
Have beat FF2 13 30.95%
Started playing it and stopped 22 52.38%
Never played FF2 7 16.67%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 02 2009, 08:24 PM   #1

Gil: 0 [Donate]
Default Who has actually finished FF2, and how?

This is the game that I'll probably never be able to beat. I own and have beat a vast majority of the released FF games, or am in the process of beating them. Maybe someday I'll beat the original FF1, FFT: War Of Lions, FFTA2, Revenant Wings, and Chocobo Tales, but I seriously doubt I will ever be able to beat or finish FF2.

Whoever designed the leveling system in this game needs to get shot and die. They intended it so that if you attack a lot normally, your weapon skills increase. If you get hurt a lot normally, your HP increases in reaction, etc. This sounds good on paper, but doesn't make for a fun game. It makes it very frustrating. Even if you fight every battle, you're never going to get strong unless you exploit the system on purpose.

In fact, practically the only way to meaningfully level up to even be on par with normal enemies, is to hit yourself in battle to gain HP, attack your party members, equip two shields and just attack without meaning, cast spells on yourself so they gain levels and stop missing (cast poison on one person, and then cure them, and repeat, to get your spell levels and resist up). Run away on purpose 300 times so won't keep failling to run when you actually need to in the middle of a dungeon. WTF is this shit? By implementing this retarded leveling system, the developers guaranteed that few people would get to experience the story of FF2.

I have a mind to start FF2 from the beginning, and max out all stats and everything with Minwu still in my party, by slaughtering those Guard captains in towne with Teleport for about a month or two, and then just breeze through the game and enjoy the story, never having to worry about losing to a random battle, if such a thing is feasible.

I'm wondering how those (few) people who have actually managed to beat this game, did it, and was it a pain? What are your tactics for exploiting this messed up leveling system?

I found from experience that in most FF games (including Tactics), if you just grind and grind and grind and gain, you will gain levels and EXP / AP / JP / ability up, and therefore eventually beat the game by being stronger. Theoretically, you could just kill weak enemies 5,000,000 times and get to Level 99 outside the first town of any game, though it'll take you two years.

Example: In FFX, if I ran around Besaid Island for two years, getting into random battles, I would someday be able to max out my sphere grid.

Unfortunately, in FF2 the only way to do that is to hit yourself and do other abuses and exploits. If you fight the first enemies outside of town for five years, you'll never max out your stats cause you'll just be one-hit killing them and not gaining stats.
Old Oct 02 2009, 08:28 PM   #2
R. Daneel Olivaw
Zeroth law

Gil: 300 [Donate]

I got to the final boss, and almost beat him, [i]without/i] having to exploit the system. If my PS2 hadn't died on me a few days later I would have had time to get my stats better and actually win. All without needing to exploit the levelling system.
R. Daneel Olivaw is offline   Send a message via MSN to R. Daneel Olivaw Reply With Quote
Old Oct 02 2009, 08:33 PM   #3
Lord Of Dumbasses
XIII GOT A FUCKING 39!!

Gil: 600 [Donate]

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Master View Post
I got to the final boss, and almost beat him, [i]without/i] having to exploit the system. If my PS2 hadn't died on me a few days later I would have had time to get my stats better and actually win. All without needing to exploit the levelling system.
Where's that PS2 version of FF II?

I beat the game on GBA. No need to exploit the system. Only some little grinding here and there and knowing which equipment to use.

"Is it still illegal to perform an autopsy on a living person?"
- Dr. House, House M.D.
Lord Of Dumbasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 02 2009, 08:36 PM   #4
R. Daneel Olivaw
Zeroth law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Of Dumbasses View Post
Where's that PS2 version of FF II?

I beat the game on GBA. No need to exploit the system. Only some little grinding here and there and knowing which equipment to use.
Final Fantasy Origins for PS1
R. Daneel Olivaw is offline   Send a message via MSN to R. Daneel Olivaw Reply With Quote
Old Oct 02 2009, 09:43 PM   #5
Ethereal Valkyrie
Jin Kisaragi fangirl

havent played FF1/FF2/at all yet..

question not related to this thread again
just a few minutes ago i could enter the site/forum at all it kept saying the page was unavailable
yup might be because lots of people where on here but oh well it works now

by ~gordunk(Deviantart)

Ethereal Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 02 2009, 09:56 PM   #6
Ram
First Sword

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXHANK View Post
Whoever designed the leveling system in this game needs to get shot and die.
It's Akitoshi Kawazu, the genius behind the beloved SaGa series.

http://www.largeprimenumbers.com/article.php?sid=saga

Nice review about Romancing SaGa Minstrel song here, which goes a great deal about him. I enjoyed reading it.
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 02 2009, 10:15 PM   #7
gmoya909
RPG gangsta 87

your missing out then and i love FF1 i beat it years ago and i beat the psp version when it was released great story of all times the heart of FF . when the world fall in to darkness 4 warriors will come. heck yeah! and FF2 i beat it on SNES and final boss is a pain and i dont like the level weapon system but whatever it was okay i really didnt like FF2. even tho am going to jump to FFXIV and see how the battle system works. i will see how that MMo dose and am a player from FFXI for 7 years waiting on shantotto expention pack.

my charecter is female because my first love in japan made it and it look like her lol but to much work put in to this charecter so i didnt bother to delete in store over F that.

(ファイナルファンタジーXIV

Last edited by gmoya909; Oct 02 2009 at 10:19 PM..
gmoya909 is offline   Send a message via MSN to gmoya909 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 02 2009, 10:30 PM   #8
Sundah
Moogle

I remember actually getting somewhat far into the story, but I stopped playing it due to frustration :/
Think someone in my party got some sort of status ailment, and I couldn't cure it because the spell used to cure it was at a too low level, so it didn't work..
Also, I remember being so annoyed with Cure, because (like other spells) after using it alot, it would level up, and require more MP, and my MP pool rarely increased..
But someday I will finish it... Someday...
Sundah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 03 2009, 02:16 AM   #9
Naunen
Under covers

Gil: 400 [Donate]

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger is the way I see it.
Old Oct 03 2009, 07:17 AM   #10
FFJunkie
Moogle

I played the PS1 version but stopped for no reason I can recall. I tried it again with the PSP version, found the system cool and all but it crashed just before the last dungeon so I never actually got to finish it.
FFJunkie is offline   Send a message via MSN to FFJunkie Reply With Quote
Old Oct 05 2009, 08:58 AM   #11
*~Jade~*
First Sword

I started FF2 ( GBA Version), but never finished it. I played 2 or 3 hours? xD"
Im too lazy to finish it, maybe i will do it in the next 10 years just because it is a main FF.
*~Jade~* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 05 2009, 12:07 PM   #12
spirawase
Moomba

FF2 isn't that bad. the battle system is a little tedious but its also very easy to take advantage of.

I personally went the way of buffering my main characters HP early in the game (after getting Minwu) so that I would have a more enjoyable experience. Only problem is that having more HP is never good fighting undead as their HP drain rates are % based.

Exploit the system. Spells like teleport and toad are incredibly powerful when leveled high. Teleport is really easy to level up if you can afford the time and gil to rest up MP. First get a decent MP pool, walk into town, tele out. I used that to train my teleports to considerably strong levels, and its your first way of dispatching higher level monsters.. like the Guard.

The Guard is really your earliest ticket to the fast road of playing. Kill him.. a lot. He drops a whole bunch of spells and equipment/weapons. Sell what you don't need for gil, keep the weapons and armor. Use it.

FF2's battle system is heavily inbalanced by what you wear. As long as your weapon is way ahead of where you're suppposed to be in the game (like the stuff the Guard drops), you'll have no problem killing enemies.

Try to stick to one weapon, because the skill level also helps a lot. The higher the better, and it increases with more attacks done using the weapon.

You can also powerhouse just 1 character to take all the damage for you. Physical attacks can only be inflicted to people in the front row. Stick only 1 guy in front, and only he will get hit (until he dies). This is a good way to have 1 character tank for the rest. As an added bonus, most or all monsters that use multi-target magic hit for mostly crappy damage.

Buffs stack. Throw on multiple casts of Berserk and Haste onto a character and watch him chop through ANYTHING, well maybe not the monsters that only take 0 physical dmg (souls i think) but everything else. This is also the fastest way to breeze through Soul of Rebirth btw (esp bosses).

O yes.. if you're ever pissed that monsters always attack before you do, take off that second weapon, it slows down your attack speed. Wearing a shield is also better too.

If you're playing the PSP version, you dont have to set time aside much to grind stats as the game randomly automatically raises stats now, making stat progression across all character slightly more uniform and less lopsided.
If not, just grind a little bit at the start of the game and always get the best weapons. That's your ticket to breezing through the game.

-if you're curious to know, I've completed FF2 4 times. once on NES emulator, once on PS1 Origins, once on GBA Dawn of Souls and once on PSP. SoR I cleared um... 4 times, i was trying to get my 100% gallery in the PSP version

Last edited by spirawase; Oct 05 2009 at 12:10 PM..
spirawase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 05 2009, 01:28 PM   #13
Astraia
mikasa es su casa

Gil: 110 [Donate]

lol, i did exactly what the second choice said.

it was kinda meh imo. D:
Old Oct 05 2009, 01:30 PM   #14
Ixion
//Faized Fayt//

I always got towards the end twice, but could never last, so I never beat it.

"My Tekken 6 Alisa"

PSNID: Yuxke
Ixion is offline   Send a message via AIM to Ixion Reply With Quote
Old Oct 05 2009, 03:32 PM   #15
R. Daneel Olivaw
Zeroth law

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirawase View Post
FF2 isn't that bad. the battle system is a little tedious but its also very easy to take advantage of.

I personally went the way of buffering my main characters HP early in the game (after getting Minwu) so that I would have a more enjoyable experience. Only problem is that having more HP is never good fighting undead as their HP drain rates are % based.
Your post was long and boring and I only read this far and I have to say you're wrong. If their HP drain rates are percentage based then they will always take the same amount relevant to how much HP you have, so in effect they never really get any stronger in that sense. And when they do use those moves on you, you're still left with more HP than you'd be left with if you had less HP to begin with.
Old Oct 06 2009, 11:22 AM   #16
spirawase
Moomba

Uh, no.. their HP drain rates are calculated based on your max HP but also come with base damage. And stronger undead enemies drain at higher % rates. the Emperor performs drain attacks in the same pattern as well. These are all part of their normal attacks too.. they don't have to 'use' them on you.

The player can also do the same thing with Blood Sword, which is why it is the most powerful weapon in the game. If you have that, its very very hard to lose to the Emperor

Anyway,
The Master> sorry if you have an attention spam of a goldfish, but my post was not directed at you for your info to begin with, and if you couldnt even sit through that short post, its your problem.

to OP> interesting little note: I understand what you're saying with the FFX example, but that was actually not a really good example, because FFX does hold you back quite like FF2 does. You'll never be able to max out stats in FFX on Besaid Island because you'd be blocked by Sphere Locks.
I won't deny the fact you can max S.Lvs tho.
spirawase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 07 2009, 06:14 PM   #17
SkyRav
Moogle

Started playing then stopped cause i got bored. The leveling system doesn't seem that difficult to grasp but i dont have much experience with it so idk wat to expect later on. Im planning to start back up again after i finish a few other games.
SkyRav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16 2009, 12:45 AM   #18

Gil: 335 [Donate]

Yes, I beat the NES and PSP versions of Final Fantasy II once. I beat the NES version in 2002 and the PSP version in 2008. I played the GBA and PSOne versions, but did not beat them. The PSP version is based on the GBA version. In the GBA and PSP versions, I extensively exploited the level system, especially with Maria. One time, I went to Fynn and toyed with the Imperial Captains for practice. I trained Firion in using swords, knives, and spears. I trained Maria in using bows, maces, and unarmed combat, and using the most spells. I trained Guy in using axes, and a few spells. I trained several temporary characters well. I trained Leon somewhat, especially on certain spells like Flare.

Last edited by Tedius Zanarukando; Oct 16 2009 at 12:48 AM..
Tedius Zanarukando is offline   Send a message via Yahoo to Tedius Zanarukando Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20 2009, 06:40 PM   #19
Syriani
Dreamwatch of Time

I got into Pandemonium, and I got bored with my GBA, and never picked it back up. I remember status effects becoming a pain at that level in the game.

Syriani is offline   Send a message via Yahoo to Syriani Send a message via Skype™ to Syriani Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13 2009, 10:26 PM   #20
Rei-Rei
Fallen Angel

I've never started but I'm kinda weary about playing since a lot of people complained about the battle system.