Go Back   Final Fantasy XIII Forums > Community > General Gaming
Register Forum Rules FAQChatbox Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old May 19 2009, 05:12 AM   #1

Gil: 0 [Donate]
Default Is it true that some games lost content due to being on the 360 aswell

Okay not trying to start a war or anything, but I was in some other forums and some ppl mentioned that RE5 had taken out movie clips and had less monsters being on screen at once because of being on the 360

Another game that came up was Assassins Creed the person said that the crowd AI was actually good when it was in beta and an exclusive for the ps3 but we all know that the crowd AI was crap in the finale product

so what I'm wondering is this true? There are ppl saying that there isn't anything on the ps3 that the 360 can't handle, and well I don't know, I think the size restrictions still play a factor, especially since MS charges developers for using multiple disks, and of course ppl want to avoid that.

I think I do believe the one about the clips in RE5, I mean there's no question that blu-ray can hold more content then dvd and that developers try to keep it to one disk on 360 to avoid the fee, but I'm curious about the AI thing, if the ps3 is capable of handling more and better AI's at once then the 360, then how many games have been dumbed down for the 360 to use?

So yea thoughts comments anything to add
Demon_of_light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2009, 07:15 AM   #2
finalmattasy
Highwind

Haven't heard about any of this. Would be interested to know if it was true. Like if a developer admitted that they had to do something like that. Kitase mentioning the lack of space for subtitles would be one. Other than that I've heard more people talk about how they are essentially of the same range in power. Both have greater strengths in different areas.
If storage space really becomes a problem before the new boxes come around I'm sure Msoft will just drop HD prices and increase the gigs. Then make the game playable with a single "verification" type disk that'll still need to be in the tray during play.
It would suck if the quality of games were being held back by a certain box. Then again the quantity of games (and quality) is being hurt by the fact that few people want to spend the amount of money that Sony is asking for their box. I own both by the way (so I ain't no fanboy).

Last edited by finalmattasy; May 19 2009 at 07:18 AM..
finalmattasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2009, 07:18 AM   #3
Sundance Kid
Don't Make Lemonade

Gil: 600 [Donate]

I know you're not trying to start a console war but this thread will result in such.

Sundance Kid is offline   Send a message via MSN to Sundance Kid Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2009, 07:26 AM   #4
Nagadick
I bring love

LOL DEMZ PS3 IS BETTER DAN DEM XBOX360's COS ALL DEY KEEP LOSING DA GRAFIX FOR XBOX INIT. MYKROS0FT SUK, SONEY ROK INIT.............................................. .................................................. ....Begin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Square Enix View Post
Yeah... Where was my apparent lack of knowledge, when I mentioned the stars lightyears away?
Nagadick is offline   Send a message via MSN to Nagadick Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2009, 08:32 AM   #5

I looked at some exclusives, and it seems like ps3 is capable of better AI then the 360, the main examples I found with AI were

Haze
LAIR
Valkyria Chronicles

Haze has big maps and from what I read better and more AI's per map then anything the AI's the 360 has

Lair literally has hundreds of AI's per map (thousands when there are foot soldiers) ranging from ground troops with very little programing, to your dragon allies and enemies, to animals which seem to have really good AI, and the added difficulty of having to program air to air flying and primary and secondary targets in them, I honestly don't think the 360 could play this game with it's cpu

VC is a little different it has two kinds of AI the one you're enemies and allies use without commands, and the enemy AI commander, I can't really say if the 360 could run this or not, probably could, might experience more delay's during the computers turn but I don't see anything the 360 can't do

the only other content that I could see being limited other then enemies per map and AI's are

Movie clips I think we can all agree the 360 is causing us to lose at least some movie clips on alot of games (whether they were taken out before they were even started on canceled at the begging or taken out at the end because it wouldn't fit)

Graphics of course (but the 360 upscaling actually gives it the edge until software is developed to make enhancing the images on a massive 3d map more affordable)

And of course maps/length, of course anything extra would be taken out before they even started on it in this case

So are we losing content on multi plat games, I think we are losing some, but nothing that major, nothing that was started anyways, at the very least it's giving producers and excuse to do less
Old May 19 2009, 08:43 AM   #6
ectorbrixx
Moogle

tekken 6 grafics will be reduce becouse of the xbox360
Old May 19 2009, 10:42 AM   #7
rutea7
in love...

Gil: 300 [Donate]

i doubt the developers would admit to doing that
rutea7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2009, 11:59 AM   #8
Hynad
Judge

And so, Bliz returned.

Hynad is offline   Send a message via MSN to Hynad Send a message via Yahoo to Hynad Send a message via Skype™ to Hynad Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2009, 12:08 PM   #9
chaosblade77
Chocobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_of_light View Post
I looked at some exclusives, and it seems like ps3 is capable of better AI then the 360, the main examples I found with AI were

Haze
LAIR
Valkyria Chronicles
I can't speak for the other two games, but as great as Valkyria Chronicles was the AI was not impressive. The game wasn't really a technical masterpiece either, it's nowhere near the limits of what either the 360 or PS3 are capable of.

The game would probably be very easy to port to the 360 if Sega so desired.

I also doubt many games have "lost content" because of the 360, considering most multiplatform games are developed for the 360 and then ported.
chaosblade77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2009, 01:11 PM   #10
Fenryr
Chocobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagase View Post
LOL DEMZ PS3 IS BETTER DAN DEM XBOX360's COS ALL DEY KEEP LOSING DA GRAFIX FOR XBOX INIT. MYKROS0FT SUK, SONEY ROK INIT.............................................. .................................................. ....Begin.
Quote:

Haze
LAIR
Valkyria Chronicles

Haze has big maps and from what I read better and more AI's per map then anything the AI's the 360 has

Lair literally has hundreds of AI's per map (thousands when there are foot soldiers) ranging from ground troops with very little programing, to your dragon allies and enemies, to animals which seem to have really good AI, and the added difficulty of having to program air to air flying and primary and secondary targets in them, I honestly don't think the 360 could play this game with it's cpu

VC is a little different it has two kinds of AI the one you're enemies and allies use without commands, and the enemy AI commander, I can't really say if the 360 could run this or not, probably could, might experience more delay's during the computers turn but I don't see anything the 360 can't do

the only other content that I could see being limited other then enemies per map and AI's are

Movie clips I think we can all agree the 360 is causing us to lose at least some movie clips on alot of games (whether they were taken out before they were even started on canceled at the begging or taken out at the end because it wouldn't fit)

Graphics of course (but the 360 upscaling actually gives it the edge until software is developed to make enhancing the images on a massive 3d map more affordable)

And of course maps/length, of course anything extra would be taken out before they even started on it in this case

So are we losing content on multi plat games, I think we are losing some, but nothing that major, nothing that was started anyways, at the very least it's giving producers and excuse to do less
I just find it funny that when Nagase says begin you actually do begin.

And no, I don't believe this to be the case with content. I'M THROWING THAT IN THERE TO STAY ON TOPIC JUST IN CASE...
Fenryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2009, 01:22 PM   #11
Agent Dunham
TRAB PU KCIP

Gil: 7,350 [Donate]

360 sux lol

sony 4eva rite rofl

ninty sukz cok

[20th January 09:05:11] Aurelia I don't speak diva. I speak human being.

[20:42:05] Whiplash I'm never going to use my maternity leave, why can't I exchange it for period leave?
Agent Dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2009, 01:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutea7 View Post
i doubt the developers would admit to doing that
Yea I'm pretty sure we don't

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosblade77 View Post
I can't speak for the other two games, but as great as Valkyria Chronicles was the AI was not impressive. The game wasn't really a technical masterpiece either, it's nowhere near the limits of what either the 360 or PS3 are capable of.

The game would probably be very easy to port to the 360 if Sega so desired.

I also doubt many games have "lost content" because of the 360, considering most multiplatform games are developed for the 360 and then ported.
If you actual read the text, that's basically what I said about VC, and I count taking content out in the early stages because you don't think it will fit in the end losing content, so that would increase the amount of games that we lost content on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenryr View Post
I just find it funny that when Nagase says begin you actually do begin.

And no, I don't believe this to be the case with content. I'M THROWING THAT IN THERE TO STAY ON TOPIC JUST IN CASE...
Hmm, didn't even read that idiots post, I ignore crap like that, you mind throwing in some reasoning instead of just a statement?
Old May 19 2009, 02:02 PM   #13
Falsate
Ixion

?thgil fo nomed taht DnatsrednU .IIIX FF no 063XOBX sv 3SP a ekil si yllacisab sihT.
<----------------------------------- Yeah, it's another complain about the port pretty much.
Falsate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2009, 02:40 PM   #14
chaosblade77
Chocobo

Quote:
If you actual read the text, that's basically what I said about VC, and I count taking content out in the early stages because you don't think it will fit in the end losing content, so that would increase the amount of games that we lost content on
You mention things like enemy turns taking longer, less enemies per map, and pointed out things like the movie clips that are not prerendered, therefore don't take up much space anyway. None of which would be an issue on the 360.

In fact, as poor as the AI is in Valkyria Chronicles (not sure about the EX hard mode) I'm surprised the AI took so long to "think" sometimes.
chaosblade77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2009, 04:21 PM   #15
admh
mental break

fuck the 360. it should do a full circle right back to where it came from
Old May 19 2009, 06:46 PM   #16
boomiko
Banned

i find engine differences in games like resistance 1&2. particularly the online. resistance 1 has 40p online and its 3 years onld, the 360 still is limitied to around 20players from what i know. resistance 2 just came out and the co op allows 8 players to play at one time against around 100 enemies at once. and MAG is comming up with 256 player online. i just dont see any 360 game developers making games of that level for the 360 exclusively, or even the same game for both consoles. i believe this is a developers way of downgrading a game to the 360s qualifications

PS3 Trophies
boomiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2009, 07:36 PM   #17
Fenryr
Chocobo

Quote:
Yea I'm pretty sure we don't

Hmm, didn't even read that idiots post, I ignore crap like that, you mind throwing in some reasoning instead of just a statement?
Nope, not really. I'm going to stick with just a statement on this one.
Fenryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2009, 11:36 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosblade77 View Post
You mention things like enemy turns taking longer, less enemies per map, and pointed out things like the movie clips that are not prerendered, therefore don't take up much space anyway. None of which would be an issue on the 360.

In fact, as poor as the AI is in Valkyria Chronicles (not sure about the EX hard mode) I'm surprised the AI took so long to "think" sometimes.
Actually I mentioned better AI and more AI's on map at once and clips that take up space that a developer would cut to keep on one disk, just because it doesn't take up that much space, if it pushes the game over that 8.5 gb limit, they would cut it, and I said there would probably be no problem with the 360 other then it might take a few secs longer (I think they just made VC an exclusive so the ps3 had an rpg on it's list, thus boosting sales without advertising at all)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomiko View Post
i find engine differences in games like resistance 1&2. particularly the online. resistance 1 has 40p online and its 3 years onld, the 360 still is limitied to around 20players from what i know. resistance 2 just came out and the co op allows 8 players to play at one time against around 100 enemies at once. and MAG is comming up with 256 player online. i just dont see any 360 game developers making games of that level for the 360 exclusively, or even the same game for both consoles. i believe this is a developers way of downgrading a game to the 360s qualifications
Some more good points, yea it looks like the main two issues with content and 360 are
1. needs to fit on 1 8.5 gb disk due to Microsoft making them pay for anything more
2. Can't run as many AI's at once, as for the players, that would be more of an issue for the servers then the 360, oh wait the 360 doesn't have servers they make the 360 host the game and act as a server, yeah no way there getting anything close to MAG doing that

It kinda sucks that we only really have fps to compare to, but yea, the only game that I've seen that I'd say it's impossible for 360 to run would be Lair (I mean the game has hundreds of good AI's on the map at once, a lot) but there are a ton of other games that just wouldn't be cost effective on the 360 because of size issues (MS royalties for multiple disks) or big maps with alot of monsters on it and they would have to chop it all up and put in loading spots in all the games...

an idea just hit me, multiplat games and 360 games seem to have a lot more loading points then ps3 exclusives think about that