Go Back   Final Fantasy XIII Forums > Fabula Nova Crystallis > Final Fantasy XIII-2
Register Forum Rules FAQChatbox Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old Jan 10 2012, 11:19 PM   #1
Kitmitsu
A googely-doogely

Gil: 1,195 [Donate]
Default Final Fantasy XIII-2 Demo Impressions

Post all your impressions of the newly released FFXIII-2 demo here. Keep them here!

Kitmitsu is offline   Send a message via MSN to Kitmitsu Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10 2012, 11:23 PM   #2
Ethan
Administrator

Gil: 3,519 [Donate]

Well I thou-- WAIT. I'VE ALREADY DONE THIS

Ethan is offline   Send a message via MSN to Ethan Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10 2012, 11:33 PM   #3
Leaferian
Leafé, Raspatil Slayer

Gil: 770 [Donate]

I'm really enjoying it! [/Is totally playing it right now]

I was worried about the Crystariums because of how tiny the look, but now that I've played it and I understand what happens I'm actually really digging the concept. Basically, when you reach the "end" of one part of the Crystarium it starts you back at the "beginning" of the path and everything on it changes! I do wish that there was some kind of list to tell you what stats you got from which roles, but I can understand how that might have been tedious for some players.

I'm also enjoying the fact that you can't see every ability down the road. I mean sure, you could get a guide or whatever and after the first playthrough you know what to expect. But starting out for the first time, it's an awesome mystery. As far as the monster Crystarium goes, I at once approve and disapprove of their leveling system. I think it is a bit easy to level up monsters through items, especially when they can be bought, but at the same time when a monster hits a certain level you have to use a higher-grade of material to level them up. So you can't just max a creature's level out with the starting material that only costs 80 Gil.

The jumping isn't too bad, I tend to be an obsessive jumper in RPGs that allow it so just having it there makes me feel better. There haven't been more then a few opportunities to use it, but it's pretty easy for me so far.

I'm a little bit annoyed that both characters already have access to the Medic Role. My understanding is that it is NOT available from the beginning of the game, and I get the distinct impression the Noel and Serah we're playing as are power-leveled. I'm sure that I will be much stronger than this when I go to fight Atlas for the first time, but I think most casual players will be weaker and that could be a problem.

The fact that they gave us enough Phoenix Down to sell for a small fortune makes me really glad. It allowed me to try out several different accessories right off the bat. I'm going to try and see if there is a level cap for the Crystarium of the Demo, actually, because if not then it's possible I will be able to find out some of the Synthesized abilities through accessories limit upgrades.

Monsters are adorable, I'm sort of loving them. I wish I could change their names to something customized, but I understand it was probably easier for them to just add a list of names. Hopefully unique namechanges, or extra name lists, will be DLC in the future of this game?

All in all, I'm impressed. When FF 13-2 was first announced, I rolled my eyes at a lot of the features and gameplay quirks they had decided on. I've seen other games fail with these kinds of features (especially the monster thing) before, and I wasn't stoked for it. Some of the information since has made me a little more receptive, but the demo has really killed my misgivings.

:3
Leaferian is offline   Send a message via MSN to Leaferian Send a message via Yahoo to Leaferian Send a message via Skype™ to Leaferian Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11 2012, 12:28 AM   #4
Drkman454
Moogle

Gil: 0 [Donate]
Talking Very Surprised and Loving It!!!

I must start by saying that, yes, I did have my doubts about the whole "Pokemon" monster taming idea; however, I am LOVING it now that I am playing the game. It's interesting to find out what each monsters "feral link" ability actually does.

One concern I had while watching a few playthrough vids of the Japanese version was that certain buffs and debuffs were not available to Noel and Serah. Today, I found a monster with my favorite debuff which is I dont think is available to Serah or Noel in the Sabetour role. To avoid spoiling anything, I wont mention the name of the spell or the monster. I even "infused" my favorite little monster with attributes of other monsters I caught. This made him quite the powerful little monster!

The landscape is sooooo much more open, and you can honestly grind if you want to. I found that doing a little grinding actually helped you capture more monsters.

The cinematic action sequences are cool because they keep you on your toes. Normally you would just sit back and watch things take place, but now you are apart of the action.
Spoiler:

With multiple endings, up to 10 and one that says "To Be Continued" after the cinematic, or at least that is what I've heard. This game is going to take at least 100 hours, again so I've heard, to complete everything.

I am definitely looking forward to this game. This is definitely going to be one you dont want to miss!

Last edited by Whiplash; Jan 11 2012 at 06:58 AM..
Drkman454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11 2012, 01:34 AM   #5
Ariana
FOR XV

Gil: 460 [Donate]

I'm not going to reiterate what's been said above, but I will agree with both posters. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I loved the demo, how well the monster system worked, the way the crystarium works now, the amount of exploration allowed, etc. All-in-all, I'm looking forward to the game, and while I know it won't be perfect, I'll thoroughly enjoy it.

Ariana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11 2012, 04:31 AM   #6
Stianfre
Moogle

Gil: 0 [Donate]

Ooooh lucky guys! As usual they take a piss on EU psn users :/ I got really excited when I saw there was a demo coming, but noooo. Well at least everything will be fresh when I can buy the game.
Stianfre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11 2012, 06:53 AM   #7
Chat Noir
durareriroru

Gil: 1,520 [Donate]

DRKMAN454 SPOILER TAGS PLEASE. COME ON NOW IT'S NOT THAT HARD.

Edit: Whiplash has edited it. Please be careful next time.

Last edited by Chat Noir; Jan 11 2012 at 07:01 AM..
Chat Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11 2012, 07:07 AM   #8
Whiplash
Current Activity: Moderating

Gil: 9,415 [Donate]

That's not what I meant by warning them

Your son is a very sick boy, just look at the X-rays. You see that dark spot there? Whiplash.
Us on Twitter
Whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11 2012, 07:17 AM   #9
Aurelia
FOR XV

Gil: 2,245 [Donate]

I don't think she has that power.

Aurelia is offline   Send a message via AIM to Aurelia Send a message via MSN to Aurelia Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11 2012, 07:18 AM   #10
EtherForce
Manqo'te

Gil: 340 [Donate]

XIII-2 certainly has a much different feel than the original. Whether or not my FFXIII-hating friends like it or not still has yet to be determined, but apparently they've downloaded it and are going to try it out so we'll see...
Old Jan 11 2012, 08:42 AM   #11
Chat Noir
durareriroru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiplash View Post
That's not what I meant by warning them
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Vi View Post
I don't think she has that power.
Old Jan 11 2012, 10:19 AM   #12
.AČ
Pragmatist

Gil: 1,195 [Donate]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stianfre View Post
Ooooh lucky guys! As usual they take a piss on EU psn users :/ I got really excited when I saw there was a demo coming, but noooo. Well at least everything will be fresh when I can buy the game.

It'll be up on European PSN later today. It's updated in the evening. Having to wait one more day is hardly "taking a piss on EU PSN users", especially when it was announced to be coming today in the first place.

» msn : cosmicdeathray@hotmail.com //
» pm me : x // » psn : Ben2289 //
» tumblr : x //

.AČ is offline   Send a message via MSN to .AČ Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11 2012, 01:05 PM   #13
bobgoesw00t
UCHU KITAAAAAAAAA!!!

Gil: 300 [Donate]

I happened to REALLY LOVE the demo, the only thing that kinda made me mad (and this is something minor) was the the demo was up on Xbox LIVE, before it was on the PlayStation Store, and since I pre-ordered the game for the PS3, it took me a little while to get use to the controls. But I'm pretty happy I did pre-order this, and I can see why Famitsu gave it a perfect score ^^.

bobgoesw00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11 2012, 07:02 PM   #14
Oracle
The thirst is real.

Gil: 7,540 [Donate]

So, first off, it looks beautiful. The environments, battle sequences, and character animations are all really fluid and engrossing. I actually didn't want to beat Serah up this time, and from what I've heard, the voice acting is pretty phenomenal, too.

I actually found myself really liking the whole monster capture system. It's really easy and fun to coordinate the monsters in your party to different paradigm builds. And the feral link is a nice touch, too. However, the one thing that bothered me about the monster system is that they can only have one role. For example, the one that I used could only be a ravager, and one of the others could only be a saboteur. I don't know if this is the final build, but I feel that it takes away a lot from the paradigm build system that XIII had.

Paradigms and staggering are pretty much the same as before. Moving on...

The crystarium is much smoother and easier to navigate, which I was happy about. Same kind of premise as in XIII, but you can tell right off the bat that it's been improved.

My favorite part of the demo would have to be the cinematic action sequences. They give the battles a nice touch, and I loved the feeling of perfecting a sequence.

There is quite a bit of exploration, and you can talk to a ton of people. They even added side missions in the demo, which I didn't really get into because I wasn't that interested, but I'm glad that they'll be there to switch things up a bit. Often I found myself not knowing where I was supposed to go.

Overall, I thought it was an awesome demo. I'm really excited for the actual game now, even if the mog's name is Piggy Kitty.
Old Jan 11 2012, 07:03 PM   #15
Singularity
1 tree. 1000 matches.

Gil: 2,245 [Donate]

Sorry if this comes across as me preaching to the choir a little, I'm trying to convince a few people who don't play FF to try the demo.

I thought it was brilliant. It took me two hours, but that's because I explored a fair bit. What really surprised me was how much the gameplay has changed; I've only been following the story details of XIII-2 until now, so this caught me off-guard a little.

Linearity has been greatly reduced, with multiple routes, optional objectives, side-quests, towns with NPCs and shops you can interact with -- one of the largest complaints of XIII and something of the game which irked me some has been addressed, which is great.

There's been a big change to how combat works, in that you can add monsters you fight to your roster and level them up, Pokemon style. It took me a little while to get used to this, but already I can see it's going to add a lot of variety and strategy to the game.

The game also has 'cinematic actions' in now, which are basically QTEs that initiate during boss battles from time to time or when you activate your monster's special ability. Usually I loathe QTEs with a passion, but they were really well done here and added a level of cinematic flair to what was once just a matter of choosing attacks from a menu.

Optional objectives are very welcome. The boss you have to take down in the demo, Atlas, is a pretty big guy as alluded to with the name. If you just rush in and attack him off the bat, chances are you're going to get crushed. However, in nearby ruins there's a device which will allow you to exert some control over the creature, and if you manage to activate that then you're in for an easier time. It was here that puzzles were introduced to the game too, which seem enjoyable enough. They don't occur too often so when they do it'll be a nice change.

Levelling up's been changed significantly too; rather than having all your potential abilities laid out for you on a ladder; so far as I can tell you unlock levels of each 'role' when you earn enough experience points and along the way enhance and gain abilities, too. You can also level up captured monsters, and they act in much the same way except (I think) their abilities are passive ones which stretch across the whole party.

You've also got much more interaction with NPCs; pretty much everyone in the Bresha Ruins research site featured in the demo had something to say, with some dolling out side-quests too. Also, now if a battle occurs near a guard (I think) they'll involve themselves and help you out, which is nice and makes the world feel more immersive where once they'd just sit around whilst you took care of the problem.

Gameplay's still very similar to XIII, but there have been enough changes that it took me a while to get into it. Right now, they seem to be for the better.

Storywise, it seems strong so far. There's more of an emphasis on gameplay in the demo and some cutscenes have been taken out to save them for the full game, but the bits we get were very positive; voice acting in particular is something I'm pretty happy with -- Laura Bailley reprises her role as the lively Serah, albeit now as a main character rather than a plot device. She seems to put a lot more effort into the role, and makes for a nice change from her cold and calculating sister who was XIII's protagonist. The other main character, Noel, is voiced by the bloke who did Haku in Spirited Away, and he's a very talented actor; the two voice actors play off each other very well. But don't expect hours of cutscenes here, although sometimes the gameplay blends with cinematic moments, which is new and also welcome.

Music is fantastic, just like the original game's was; a few shake-ups to the formula like vocal tracks (a bit of light rap in the first boss fight sounds very good in motion,) and some electronica and such which differs from the strings and quartets of XIII and not in a bad way.

Graphically the game's fairly similar to XIII, but I did notice character models appear sharper as does lighting and weather, and also the GUI is a lot nicer-looker and everything feels a bit more polished, really. The environment of Bresha Ruins isn't the most interesting, but from what I've seen in trailers that won't be a problem throughout a lot of the game.

In general, I'm really impressed with this demo. XIII's gameplay was something I almost suffered through rather than enjoyed; a sometimes trying interlude between cutscenes. Here, I found myself spending ages running around, doing side-quests, battling monsters, talking to NPCs, going to shops -- it engaged me far more than the first game.
Singularity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11 2012, 07:04 PM   #16
Chat Noir
durareriroru

Piggy Kitty d'awwwwww

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
Sorry if this comes across as me preaching to the choir a little, I'm trying to convince a few people who don't play FF to try the demo.
It's totally ok, dear, it's totally ok.
Old Jan 11 2012, 07:36 PM   #17
Lymle
。◕‿◕。

Gil: 400 [Donate]

So I literally JUST finished the demo.

I thought it was great overall. The world is much more dinamic and it feels so alive, I love how you can actually talk to random people down the road and how you can hear conversations when you walk next to a group of people. The social system is always a big part of every RPG, so I'm glad it's back.

I also like the fact that you can accept secondary quests from people instead of just l'Cie, and not all of them are about killing a certain monster. My only complain about the demo is that it's too dark, I would have liked a more colourful environment like Sunleth Waterscape, but whatever.

The battle system hasn't changed that much, but it's changed enough to make it WAY better than XIII's. I LOVE that you can finally change leaders during battle in case the character you're playing as dies. The monster system seems nice too, but I haven't been experimenting much with it.

The voice acting is flawless and Serah is forever my bias.

So... Yeah. I'm probably going to play it a lot until the game comes out, although now I just wish I had the whole game even more ;w;
Old Jan 11 2012, 08:06 PM   #18
Lymle
。◕‿◕。

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramenzilla View Post
Noel and Serah are a flawless team and I ship them even harder than I did before.
I feel like a proud mother rn
Old Jan 11 2012, 08:06 PM   #19
Moklin

Gil: 1,040 [Donate]

Everyone seems to love the demo..........i might get the game T_T.

Still, i doubt iŽll like it...
Old Jan 11 2012, 08:25 PM   #20
Lymle
。◕‿◕。

Why can't you just try the demo and see if you really do want the game or not? It's free anyway. You have nothing to lose.