Go Back   Final Fantasy XIII Forums > Community > General Gaming
Register Forum Rules FAQChatbox Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old Feb 19 2013, 01:41 AM   #1
Ethan
Administrator

Gil: 3,909 [Donate]
Default SimTownship

Since it's getting closer to the release of this game, I figured I would start a thread because, whatever.

Anyways, I just recently played the Beta and I am addicted. I want to play more I want this game so bad, somebody halp.

I was wondering who else is interested in it? I'm sure there's a few of you here.

Ethan is offline   Send a message via MSN to Ethan Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19 2013, 03:44 AM   #2
Oracle
The thirst is real.

Gil: 7,840 [Donate]

It's multiplayer, right?
Old Feb 19 2013, 03:55 AM   #3
Ethan
Administrator

There is some kind of function like that yeah, which is pretty exciting. Even though I've been looking into the game a lot of the past week or so, I still don't fully understand it lol But yeah, at least it's an option.

Old Feb 19 2013, 05:06 AM   #4
Mike
We’re alone now.

Gil: 2,600 [Donate]

Day 1 purchase.

Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19 2013, 05:11 AM   #5
Oracle
The thirst is real.

I am going to wreck your respective economies.

Jk.
Old Feb 19 2013, 12:12 PM   #6
xX_Rain_Xx
In Dunham's pooper

Gil: 165 [Donate]

I watched alot of video gameplays on youtube and I'm quite sold with what I see.

But one thing I am wondering is...

'Can you build your own buildings?'

I understand that you personally build stuff like hospitals and firetrucks etcetc, but can you actually design your own city?

In my understanding, you build road blocks and assign what sort of development starts in that block, like housing or economic buildings. Which then develop as people move into the town.

I haven't really played any SimCity games in the past (I was a huge fan of RCT) so I'm not that sure on the mechanics of the game.

I didn't see any feature like being able to place buildings/houses on you own will in gameplay videos, perhaps someone could answer this?
Old Feb 19 2013, 01:28 PM   #7
Agent Dunham
TRAB PU KCIP

Gil: 7,350 [Donate]

SimCity works by zoning residential/commercial/industrial in light/medium/heavy density. It will fill in the space according to need and the desirability of the land. I don't know if 5 has it, but earlier games let you choose a building style (generally relating to architecture associated with a certain region, e.g. "Asian"), and SC3000 had a building designer included, but I never messed with it.

The series is based around management-citybuilding than building-citybuilding. You might be more interested in something like Tropico (which is amazing) if you want to place specific resi/comm/ind buildings, but there's no real design element to it, just presets.

[20th January 09:05:11] Aurelia I don't speak diva. I speak human being.

[20:42:05] Whiplash I'm never going to use my maternity leave, why can't I exchange it for period leave?
Agent Dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19 2013, 08:23 PM   #8
Ethan
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Day 1 purchase.
So proud of you rn.

There will be buildings styles for sure, I know the digital deluxe edition is coming with "France" "England" "Germany" styles which cover buildings and vehicles. Each also comes with a landmark to add to the landmarks already included. For example the France pack has the Eiffel Tower. I'm sure more will be released later, as DLC.

Old Feb 19 2013, 08:23 PM   #9
Ethan
Administrator

Quote:
Day 1 purchase.
So proud of you rn.

There will be buildings styles for sure, I know the digital deluxe edition is coming with "France" "England" "Germany" styles which cover buildings and vehicles. Each also comes with a landmark to add to the landmarks already included. For example the France pack has the Eiffel Tower. I'm sure more will be released later, as DLC.

Old Feb 19 2013, 08:44 PM   #10
Mike
We’re alone now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan View Post
So proud of you rn.
I've been playing Sim City for most of my life, though, this isn't a surprise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Dunham View Post
The series is based around management-citybuilding than building-citybuilding. You might be more interested in something like Tropico (which is amazing) if you want to place specific resi/comm/ind buildings, but there's no real design element to it, just presets.
I got Tropico 3 in a free Steam bundle ages ago and never played it. Maybe I should actually install it.

Old Feb 19 2013, 08:57 PM   #11
Agent Dunham
TRAB PU KCIP

Quote:
I got Tropico 3 in a free Steam bundle ages ago and never played it. Maybe I should actually install it.
Do it for El Presidente.

[20:42:05] Whiplash I'm never going to use my maternity leave, why can't I exchange it for period leave?
Old Mar 05 2013, 11:27 AM   #12
Agent Dunham
TRAB PU KCIP

Been watching some stuff and eh...

I like the idea of demand/desirability in deciding the appropriate density, but with the small city sizes, it really falls flat with having to waste your already incredibly limited space dropping landmarks and shit. Especially when you look at the regions, even the smallest one, and there's fucking empty space everywhere that seems like it won't ever be used by anything (not even the Great Works seem to fill it in).

Apparently you can't boot people from a region, meaning that if you play with friends and they stop, their city falls into disrepair and there's jack shit you can do about it. Again, the concept of the back and forth and maximising efficiency between yourselves is good, but a) it's essentially the default and b) there's no out.

The best aspects are the brilliant data overlays and the expansion on being a part of the city instead of just building it.

I'll be keeping an eye on how it develops. It's apparently built to be moddable, but it's EA, so I'm not sure how that will work out and I also want to see the official support. It just doesn't nail it well enough. I have SC3KU and SC4D and while they also have issues, they don't seem to be as inherently frustrating as SC2013.

Shame, really. At least there's the Chris Tilton soundtrack...

You have to unlock achievements to get access to certain things? Fuck this game and the horse it rode in on.

Last edited by Agent Dunham; Mar 05 2013 at 12:57 PM..
Old Mar 05 2013, 01:25 PM   #13
Ethan
Administrator

I can understand those complaints to be honest, but it's definitely still a purchase for me. Leaving the house in a little bit to get it actually.

Old Mar 05 2013, 02:06 PM   #14
Oracle
The thirst is real.

Getting achievements to unlock shit? Ugh. No thanks. I'll get Tomb Raider instead.
Old Mar 05 2013, 03:31 PM   #15
Ethan
Administrator

It's nothing new... Tons of games require you to reach certain milestones in order to unlock stuff.

Old Mar 05 2013, 04:15 PM   #16
Agent Dunham
TRAB PU KCIP

If you're going to lock disasters behind arbitrary bullshit challenges, I'm not going to be pleased. Gimme my mass fires, you bastards.

Certain population or reaching a certain year. That's what SimCity is supposed to do and that is all I will accept. And all disasters available from the beginning, it's the only way.

It's that wrenching aspects of control away from the player that's really gross and unappealing.

Old Mar 05 2013, 08:20 PM   #17
Ethan
Administrator

Me on the other hand, I never even touch disasters tbh. So I couldn't care less about them and what it takes to unlock them.

Old Mar 06 2013, 01:23 AM   #18
Keith
Moogle

Gil: 320 [Donate]

As a Giant Leaping LIZARD barrel asses through your city..... >.>
Destroying your precious water treatment plant
Keith is offline   Send a message via Skype™ to Keith Reply With Quote
Old Mar 06 2013, 04:09 AM   #19
Mike
We’re alone now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emuhlee View Post
Getting achievements to unlock shit? Ugh. No thanks. I'll get Tomb Raider instead.
REALLY????

Old Mar 06 2013, 05:05 AM   #20
Ethan
Administrator

MIKE FAST FORWARD SO YOU CAN GET IT ALREADY AND JOIN MY REGION OMG.