Go Back   Final Fantasy XIII Forums > Fabula Nova Crystallis > Final Fantasy XIII > FFXIII Spoiler Discussion & Questions
Register Forum Rules FAQChatbox Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old Apr 14 2010, 10:04 AM   #1
eddietam5136
Moogle

Gil: 0 [Donate]
Default Mission 51 Killing Attacus

I'm sorry if you guys discussed this in antoher thread,i haven't seen it so yeah. i just need help, my party is lightning/fang/hope. i always screw up because i can't buff up when hes on the concentrating mode and the medilate or whatever. its impossible since he keeps on slashing my opponents and i constantly have to heal with combat clinic so i basically keep on switching from combat clinic to evened odds (i know that evened odds can heal, but stupid lightning doesn't heal fast enough -___-")then he starts canceling my buffs and debuffs me -.- is there anyway to buff up when hes doing the concentrate and medilate attack? also can you use death on this guy? if so, it'd be a lot easier.... once again, i'm sorry if i'm asking questions that has already been answered. please give me a strategy on how to kill this guy..its bugging me...

My characters stats...
Lighting: 15.4k hp level 1 weapon still
Fang: 18.9k hp level 1 weapon still
Hope: 13.4k hp level 1 weapon still..
eddietam5136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14 2010, 10:45 AM   #2
Nekro
Moogle

Simply have Fang in the role of Sentinel at all times. It will take longer, but you'll take next to no damage if her HP is high enoguh.
Nekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14 2010, 11:32 AM   #3
StevenRuan
Moogle

Attacus is actually a reasonably easy boss imo. Although he does have quite a bit of health, he doesn't do much damage until it rips out his third sword. he should be done easily in 15 minutes if you have the right set up. I'd suggest you to have the paradigms-
Sen Syn Sab,
Sen Rav Rav
Sen med med,
Sen med com
Com rav rav
Sen Rav Com
I suggest you not to control the sentinel since you might screw up when attacus is in its third form. I'd suggest you to have fang, vanille and hope in your party or snow Vanille and hope. Control either Vanille or Hope. Start off with Sen Syn Sab, and when your buffing and debuffing is done, use Sen Rav Rav and chain as much as you possibly could. If the chain bar is going down too fast, switch to Sen Rav Com to stabilize. When you think its good to attack, use Com Rav Rav and start attacking. When it goes into its second for, its attacks are still weak. Constantly switch from Sen syn sab and sen rav rav to continue chaining, rebuff, and debuff attacus. Heal when necessary. Use com rav rav when you feel comfortable to do so. Finally, after taking away half of its health, it will pull out its final sword. this is when it becomes a bitch since the sentinel must stay on any guard to survive its attack. Try to avoid using com rav rav unless you are certain that it will kill him since if you dont switch before it chooses a target to use meditate on ,you will be screwed if it chooses you as the target . Use sen syn sab from time to time. you will be use sen med med quite often during the third form. I'd also suggest you to have your weapons upgraded to tier 2 max. As long as you have the patience, you should be able to take it down within 15 minutes. I was able killed attacus with no characters that had health above 10k so you should be sweet if you use the right paradigms. It took me 19 minutes the first got but only took me 6 after i killed the final boss.

Last edited by StevenRuan; Apr 14 2010 at 11:35 AM..
StevenRuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14 2010, 01:29 PM   #4
Yun Fang
Moogle

First time I defeated Attacus I staggered him at 999% lol. That took me 20+ minutes and I didn't get 5 stars. Next round, I kept the chain going at around 500%, when it hits that 500% mark, keep commandoing him and he should go down pretty fast. I defeated him in about 10 mins there and my characters weren't that powerful.
Yun Fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14 2010, 09:18 PM   #5
eddietam5136
Moogle

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenRuan View Post
Attacus is actually a reasonably easy boss imo. Although he does have quite a bit of health, he doesn't do much damage until it rips out his third sword. he should be done easily in 15 minutes if you have the right set up. I'd suggest you to have the paradigms-
Sen Syn Sab,
Sen Rav Rav
Sen med med,
Sen med com
Com rav rav
Sen Rav Com
I suggest you not to control the sentinel since you might screw up when attacus is in its third form. I'd suggest you to have fang, vanille and hope in your party or snow Vanille and hope. Control either Vanille or Hope. Start off with Sen Syn Sab, and when your buffing and debuffing is done, use Sen Rav Rav and chain as much as you possibly could. If the chain bar is going down too fast, switch to Sen Rav Com to stabilize. When you think its good to attack, use Com Rav Rav and start attacking. When it goes into its second for, its attacks are still weak. Constantly switch from Sen syn sab and sen rav rav to continue chaining, rebuff, and debuff attacus. Heal when necessary. Use com rav rav when you feel comfortable to do so. Finally, after taking away half of its health, it will pull out its final sword. this is when it becomes a bitch since the sentinel must stay on any guard to survive its attack. Try to avoid using com rav rav unless you are certain that it will kill him since if you dont switch before it chooses a target to use meditate on ,you will be screwed if it chooses you as the target . Use sen syn sab from time to time. you will be use sen med med quite often during the third form. I'd also suggest you to have your weapons upgraded to tier 2 max. As long as you have the patience, you should be able to take it down within 15 minutes. I was able killed attacus with no characters that had health above 10k so you should be sweet if you use the right paradigms. It took me 19 minutes the first got but only took me 6 after i killed the final boss.

well i know its a dumb questoin but i'm not really sure how using vanille/fang/hope will do any damage to it? yeah i know fang is the damage guy but fang is the sentinel so he won't be doing any damage? he will just use mediguard to take less damage and defend the party.. so how would you do damage to it? magic doesn't really do a lot of damage to that damn thing so wouldn't vanille/hope be kinda useless besides buffing unless you can use death on it? can you use death on it? lmao

and to the poster above, how can u stagger him to 999%? i was at 300% at most -.-. what party did you use? fang/hope/vanille or lightning/fang/hope?

Last edited by eddietam5136; Apr 14 2010 at 09:21 PM..
Old Apr 14 2010, 10:26 PM   #6
Yun Fang
Moogle

Lol..it's possible but it just takes a long ass time. Don't stop at 300%..get him to 450% - 500%. The higher the better cause they'll do more damage...and it really does make all the difference. My team was Fang/ Lightning /Hope. Hope heals while the other 2 attack. Good luck
Yun Fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14 2010, 11:13 PM   #7
beastinem
Moogle

I went in with Fang/Hope/Light with an Aegisol (which I found out I could have did without I guess since the battle lasts a VERY long time.

I started with a Com/Rav/Rav setup and when I started to take damage I would switch to Combat Clinic. When buffs died, switch to Sen/Syn/Med.

The only tough part was when he got to his third sword and started doing Meditate. Eesh. When that happened, I would make sure Fang was topped off on HP and switch her to Sen. After the attack, heal, then back to Com/Rav/Rav. You get the picture.

I was really hoping to get an Instant Chain since I had Random Instant Chain on ALL 3 party members. But never got it In fact, I never even staggered the guy. Just kept wailing away until he was dead. I think I got lucky and got the 5 star on the first try.

Good luck
beastinem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14 2010, 11:16 PM   #8
Falsate
Ixion

Gil: 300 [Donate]

SEN/RAV/RAV and SEN/SYN/MED should be all you really need.

If you care about the Stagger gauge, SEN/COM/MED.
Falsate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14 2010, 11:23 PM   #9
eddietam5136
Moogle

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastinem View Post
I went in with Fang/Hope/Light with an Aegisol (which I found out I could have did without I guess since the battle lasts a VERY long time.

I started with a Com/Rav/Rav setup and when I started to take damage I would switch to Combat Clinic. When buffs died, switch to Sen/Syn/Med.

The only tough part was when he got to his third sword and started doing Meditate. Eesh. When that happened, I would make sure Fang was topped off on HP and switch her to Sen. After the attack, heal, then back to Com/Rav/Rav. You get the picture.

I was really hoping to get an Instant Chain since I had Random Instant Chain on ALL 3 party members. But never got it In fact, I never even staggered the guy. Just kept wailing away until he was dead. I think I got lucky and got the 5 star on the first try.

Good luck

i did exactly what you did but isntead of using com/rav/rav i did com/com/rav since rav doesn't do much damage compared to com. So instead of using relentlous assault i did aggression lol. and its hard to put fang on senitel if your putting her as a com. it picks a target randomly if fang isn't on sen and then it becomes a pain in the ass lol.
Old Apr 15 2010, 12:17 AM   #10
beastinem
Moogle

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddietam5136 View Post
i did exactly what you did but isntead of using com/rav/rav i did com/com/rav since rav doesn't do much damage compared to com. So instead of using relentlous assault i did aggression lol. and its hard to put fang on senitel if your putting her as a com. it picks a target randomly if fang isn't on sen and then it becomes a pain in the ass lol.
That's a good idea. I would have done that if I had problems with the initial setup but as I said, I got lucky and 5 starred it on the first attempt.
beastinem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15 2010, 12:42 AM   #11
StevenRuan
Moogle

Quote:
well i know its a dumb questoin but i'm not really sure how using vanille/fang/hope will do any damage to it? yeah i know fang is the damage guy but fang is the sentinel so he won't be doing any damage? he will just use mediguard to take less damage and defend the party.. so how would you do damage to it? magic doesn't really do a lot of damage to that damn thing so wouldn't vanille/hope be kinda useless besides buffing unless you can use death on it? can you use death on it? lmao

and to the poster above, how can u stagger him to 999%? i was at 300% at most -.-. what party did you use? fang/hope/vanille or lightning/fang/hope?
I used fang hope and vanille. I had instachain just to see if i could get lucky. I just stayed at mystic tower when i buffed enough and and debuffed enough. Since he doesnt do much when hes at its 1st stage, i staggered him till i got its stagger to like 500% and changed to com rav rav to keep on chaining and attacking. I got lucky, instachained him and killed him. but another good set up would be hope fang and snow cause you can use snow as sen since hes the best. have fang to sab and hope to syn. The go to mystic tower. just make sure you have fang at least one lvl 1 rav, or do it vice versa and have fang as sen. Chain him to like 500 and start attack with com rav rav or com com rav. up to you.
StevenRuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15 2010, 12:46 AM   #12
Oerba_Dia_Vanille
Just whistle

I used Vanille/Light/Fang.

I started with Rav/Rav/Rav until he was at 300%+ chain, then switched to Cerberus until he got out sword number two, then I switched to Sen/Com/Com. DON'T use Fang as a Sentinel cause she's you're hardest hitter, and you're pretty much just adding a lot more time than necessary onto the fight if you don't keep her as a commando.

It's also useful to switch between Sen/Com/Sab to slow him, which will help. If you need to heal, switch to Sen/Med/Med, or Salvation. Whichever you prefer.

And yes, I did use Vanille as a Sentinel for this Although, only because she isn't the highest damager in my usual party, and she knows Mediguard. Hey, it worked, and I got 5 stars first try, so...
Oerba_Dia_Vanille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16 2010, 06:23 PM   #13
Johny Bravo
Moogle

I failed this twice so far just messing around. He keeps casting doom on me and I time out. I was trying to see if he staggers using a tri-disaster and mystic tower setup. He does stagger when you get him up to 999% and you can launch and juggle him as well, my problem was I didn't have a com/com/rav set up so I missed him by a couple hundred thousand hit points.
The syn/sab/sen paradigm worked great with his first 2 swords allowing you to buff and debuff at the same time since your sen doesn't really need any help at this point. For the 3rd sword pretty much kept a sen the whole time it really just came down to a timing issue with Doom
I think next time I try this I will use Fang, lightning and Snow. Push towards stagger using the tri-disaster then switch to cerebus to see how it works out.
Johny Bravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16 2010, 06:38 PM   #14
Ixion
//Faized Fayt//

Quote:
I'm sorry if you guys discussed this in antoher thread,i haven't seen it so yeah. i just need help, my party is lightning/fang/hope. i always screw up because i can't buff up when hes on the concentrating mode and the medilate or whatever. its impossible since he keeps on slashing my opponents and i constantly have to heal with combat clinic so i basically keep on switching from combat clinic to evened odds (i know that evened odds can heal, but stupid lightning doesn't heal fast enough -___-")then he starts canceling my buffs and debuffs me -.- is there anyway to buff up when hes doing the concentrate and medilate attack? also can you use death on this guy? if so, it'd be a lot easier.... once again, i'm sorry if i'm asking questions that has already been answered. please give me a strategy on how to kill this guy..its bugging me...

My characters stats...
Hope: 13.4k hp level 1 weapon still..
errr............I just followed the strategy guide, and I don't remember much but there was a lot switching between paradigms for every moment of the fight

"My Tekken 6 Alisa"

PSNID: Yuxke
Ixion is offline   Send a message via AIM to Ixion Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17 2010, 12:58 AM   #15

I suggest Lightning/Fang/Snow. Use Fortisol & Aegisol before the fight. Start with SAB/SAB/SEN and keep casting Deprotect, Deshell and Slow until it lands and then switch to RAV/RAV/SEN. You just keep attacking him until you get to above 300% Chain bonus and switch to COM/COM/SEN and keep on pounding him. You should always make sure he still has debuffs on him and also watch on your buffs. You only need Haste, Bravera and Faithra. Have Snow equipped with Damage or Physical Resistance Accessories if possible.
insanely_ingot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21 2010, 05:49 PM   #16
Alvira
Cactuar

There's an easy way to win this. Just need to spend a bit of money. Use Snow and 2 others (I suggest Fang and Light). For Snow, buy a paladin for him, that weapon gives improved guard. Don't need to upgrade it, he wont be doing any attacking. Then buy 4 general's belt. Put it all on Snow.

Now, go into battle with Snow as sentinal, and you can pretty much just wail away with the other 2 charecters without even having to do any healing, even in stage 3 weapon. This is because the 4 general's belt, plus the paladin, plus snow in sentinal mode literally makes him just about imprevious to physical damage.

I didn't even need to heal him throughout the whole fight.
Alvira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21 2010, 06:04 PM   #17
Polomanste
Cactuar

In the words of the strategy guide:-

"Attacus is susceptible to Deprotect, Deshell, Slow and Curse, so start the battle by casting these status ailments and refresh them as required during the remainder of the battle. Buffing your party with status enhancements will obviously be of benefit.

The battle becomes increasingly harder as time goes by. After losing approximately 22.5% of its HP, Attacus draws its Unrelenting Blade. Your opponent will then occasionally prepare a more powerful blow with the Concentrate ability. Paradigm shift immediately to give a Sentinel sufficient time to Provoke the mark and take the damage.

After losing half its HP, Attacus pulls out its Peerless Blade. Concentrate is now replaced by Meditate, an even more powerful charging move. Again, a Sentinel is the key to surviving the ensuing attack.

Attacus cannot be staggered, though increasing the chain bonus to 999% will significantly speed things up. Do your utmost to maintain the chain at all times."

Hope that helps.
Polomanste is offline   Send a message via MSN to Polomanste Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22 2010, 09:49 AM   #18
kuchi
Highwind

No ultimate weapons were used. Only a completed crystalium.

Fang, Lightning and Snow. Stack STR on Fang and Lighting, resist physical on Snow. Before the fight use Aegisol and Fortisol. Here are the combos you will need and the order to do them:

SAB/RAV/RAV: start with this and get slow, deshell and deprotect on
RAV/RAV/RAV: rack up the chain till its 300%
COM/COM/SEN: keep this for almost all the time
ENH/COM/SEN: refresh haste and bravery on Fang and Lightning
SAB/COM/SEN: to keep only deprotect on

In theory you should not need a healer, however it could be wise to Combat Clinic (MED/MED/SEN) just as a safety measure. Using these tactics is for sure a 5 star and it should take around 5-6 minutes. Taken from the stone thread in the walkthrough discussion.

- Yes you can return to Gran Pulse
- Chocobos become available after mission 14
- Best way to upgrade weapons (early) is using 36 Sturdy Bones then Superconductors
- Good early gil: sell Incentive Chips that drop from PSICOM mobs
- Good CP in Chp 11: Behemoth vs Wolf in the North West corner of the map by the save point
- Exceptional theorycrafting mechanic thread: http://uk.faqs.ign.com/articles/108/1085648p1.html
kuchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2010, 07:36 AM   #19
archwyvern
Moogle

[QUOTE]I'm sorry if you guys discussed this in antoher thread,i haven't seen it so yeah. i just need help, my party is lightning/fang/hope. i always screw up because i can't buff up when hes on the concentrating mode and the medilate or whatever. its impossible since he keeps on slashing my opponents and i constantly have to heal with combat clinic so i basically keep on switching from combat clinic to evened odds (i know that evened odds can heal, but stupid lightning doesn't heal fast enough -___-")then he starts canceling my buffs and debuffs me -.- is there anyway to buff up when hes doing the concentrate and medilate attack? also can you use death on this guy? if so, it'd be a lot easier.... once again, i'm sorry if i'm asking questions that has already been answered. please give me a strategy on how to kill this guy..its bugging me...

My characters stats...
Hope: 13.4k hp level 1 weapon still../QUOTE]

With that stats I think you shouldn't have a problem, only a long battle, just make sure Fang role as sentinel, lightning as Com or Med, and Hope (Party Leader) as Syn, Com or Rav (I Don't think to stagger it was a good way), use Hope to buff Lightning with Bravery, Don't buff Fang, because it will be useless, if Fang needs Immediate Healing, Change to Med/Med/Sen

I think this Attacus guy is an Idiot , easily provoked, remember the easy time with that Noob Wyladius
Old May 11 2010, 09:47 AM   #20
kuchi
Highwind

The battle is long for people because they dont up the stagger bar at the start. Once you have it 300% and with 2xCOM its a joke.

- Yes you can return to Gran Pulse
- Chocobos become available after mission 14
- Best way to upgrade weapons (early) is using 36 Sturdy Bones then Superconductors
- Good early gil: sell Incentive Chips that drop from PSICOM mobs
- Good CP in Chp 11: Behemoth vs Wolf in the North West corner of the map by the save point
- Exceptional theorycrafting mechanic thread: http://uk.faqs.ign.com/articles/108/1085648p1.html
kuchi is offline   Reply With Quote