Go Back   Final Fantasy XIII Forums > Fabula Nova Crystallis > Final Fantasy XIII-2 > FFXIII-2 Spoiler Discussion & Questions
Register Forum Rules FAQChatbox Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old Feb 07 2012, 11:06 PM   #1

Gil: 0 [Donate]
Default Final Fantasy 13-2 too easy?

Did anyone else find the battles too easy? I feel like there should be a hard mode.
Mr_Yours_Truly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 07 2012, 11:15 PM   #2
Leaferian
Leafé, Raspatil Slayer

Gil: 1,070 [Donate]

This discussion's been had a few times, actually. It can be a little easy, yeah, but it's an RPG whose storyline is based around free choice. Since the only way to really ramp up difficult is to impose restrictions or make monsters tougher, it's not really simple to keep an RPG hard. Grinding of any kind greatly reduces difficulty, and if you go Fragment hunting before you beat the main boss you literally get gallons and gallons of CP the game assumes you didn't go after. Factor in that until close to the end the game you have the choice to do pretty much any of the chapter areas in whatever order you feel like...

But at the beginning of Chapter 6ish, I believe, the game has a sharp spike in difficulty. For example, there's a regular old random encounter with a Proto-behemoth and two Schrodingers (Potcats like Cait Sith, Saboteurs) that kills me every time even though I have 4/6 roles maxed out for both characters, and all my monsters are rare and at their highest levels. After so many mostly easy battles, I wasn't prepared for it. And a lot of the random encounters in the 6th Chapter are like that, too. Some're easy, some give you a challenge, and some of them you're pretty damned sure should be mini-bosses.

I can agree with having a hard mode for the people that want the challenge, but I didn't find this game any easier than most Final Fantasy games. If we're lucky, a Hard Mode will be available through the system updates.
Leaferian is offline   Send a message via MSN to Leaferian Send a message via Yahoo to Leaferian Send a message via Skype™ to Leaferian Reply With Quote
Old Feb 07 2012, 11:24 PM   #3
NotitsMan
hOnK

Gil: 3,570 [Donate]

You can faceroll through most of the battles, yeah. But really it's not too difficult to fix that. Just impose a few restrictions on yourself, do some of those challenges they put you to in other games. After all, leveling up and the monsters and roles you choose are completely up to you. Any battle you encounter can be a challenge you've specifically tailored to yourself, especially when it comes to the tougher enemies.
NotitsMan is offline   Send a message via MSN to NotitsMan Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08 2012, 12:06 AM   #4
Leaferian
Leafé, Raspatil Slayer

Gil: 1,070 [Donate]

The maximum for a character's innate role in 13 was 30,000 for stats, 60,000 for abilities. Non-innate roles were 60,000 for stats, I believe, and 120,000 for abilities.

But then again, grinding was unnecessary in 13 until after you had beaten the final boss and unlocked the last Crystarium expansion. Even in a playthrough where I didn't stop to grind, I was always strong enough that the only things that really gave me trouble were the end-game level hunts. And those are meant to challenge you, even at maximum stats.

Besides, in 13 your stats were static. Each character would always have the same amount at the end. In 13-2, your stats are decided at random, and by how you level up. You get better stats from the larger nodes, for example, so to influence your character to have high Strength you would want to choose the large nodes as being Commando, or Saboteur. For Magic you'd go Ravager or Synergist, and for HP you'd do Sentinel or Medic. But, because a person has all that CP rolling around and 99 levels per role to burn through, most players, even intelligent ones, are likely to blitz through the Crystarium on their way to an ability they like and in the end suffer massive stat penalties.

It's kind of like getting $2 a week for allowance and trying to save up to buy something that's $500 (That's FF13), and then suddenly getting $50 allowance and discovering that there are all sorts of little things you could spend your money on. In the rush of having so much money and being able to afford whatever you feel like, you're far more likely to make bad decisions with that money. Some people will adjust just fine, and end up doing well of course, but that's the exception to the rule.
Leaferian is offline   Send a message via MSN to Leaferian Send a message via Yahoo to Leaferian Send a message via Skype™ to Leaferian Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08 2012, 12:12 AM   #5
Ethan
Administrator

Gil: 3,909 [Donate]

Sure the story stuff isn't hard until the end, but do some of the extra crap, like trying to get Paradox endings and shit, some tough battles there

And I'm sure the Coliseum will offer some challenges.

And yeah, XIII allowed you to grind to each cap, but that cap was still kind of low, of course, not at all impossible stuff. We are all used to grinding in FF, so given the real opportunity now, made it seem like it was easier.

And plus doing extra stuff leveled me up before I had to do story stuff so it always seemed like it was easy. Not exactly a downside imo.

Ethan is offline   Send a message via MSN to Ethan Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08 2012, 05:38 AM   #6
choubaka
Moogle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramenzilla View Post
XIII imposed a lot of caps on the player, XIII-2 does not so it's a lot easier to level up like crazy, but I have noticed that it's much easier to earn CP in XIII-2 than it is in XIII. I'm 30 hours in and have 4 roles maxed out for each character, in XIII, I barely had three maxed out after 50 hours.

I think the enemies in general give a generous amount of CP.

I'm kind of thinking the contrary. In FF13, CP farming is totally easy.
On Gran Pulse, there is two Behemoth-like enemies that you can kill in 7 seconds. They give 13200 CP per battle. I don't need to do the math to make us realize that it's crazy fast.

Here, I recorded a video of me doing this :
HTML Code:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyCTRkcQlVs
I would like to know how to make such CP in FF13-2 because as of right now, I have only 2 roles maxed out at the end of the story with a lot of playing time.

I reallllllly need to know
choubaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08 2012, 07:38 AM   #7
.simon
Rural Juror

Gil: 800 [Donate]

I have all the roles maxed out and some battle are still tough for me. I tried to do as much as I could from the beginning so all the boss battles were super easy because I already had 2 roles at 99 in Academia 400. I didn't have to heal myself at all until I reached the final boss, who killed me the first time.
Without a good strategy, monsters like Attila are still strong though. To get the paradox ending off Serah vs Caius I had to switch to easy because I couldn't beat it.

Quote:
I would like to know how to make such CP in FF13-2 because as of right now, I have only 2 roles maxed out at the end of the story with a lot of playing time.
There's a fragment skill that doubles the CP you get. Then just do as many sidequests as you can; some of them give you dozen of thousands of CP.
.simon is offline   Send a message via MSN to .simon Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08 2012, 04:49 PM   #8
jnrust
Moogle

Gil: 600 [Donate]

There were some moments that I thought were difficult.
jnrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 02 2012, 07:12 PM   #9
zpd
Moogle

Gil: 120 [Donate]

Well, for me they are way too easy..

I have played several FF's, mostly VII and X tho and what I liked in those games was that you could spend a huge amount of hours into whatever you'd like and still the game remained balanced. You had to really make yourself worthy the title of "Overpowered"

For example, I like to farm, when I have a goal.

I played XIII and I liked the battle systems, but the story was horrible and the "hard-boss-range" was too... Everything seemed messy and too easy, you didnt have any straight goals.

Ok, so in 13-2 this was the thing I had hoped they'd changed, and in the beginning of the game I really thought so, with the coliseum and everything, BUT then...

When I first reached the Archylte Steppe I stayed there for like 1 day and farmed, everything, just ran around and nuked, got 1 blue chocobo and 1 red chocobo.I farmed Potent crystals for a while and leveled those to max, now the game is just silly....

In the continuing storyline I one-shot everything before my first ruinga have landed (Many battles ended with 00:00:00 of battle duration), and I have beaten every hard boss there is on the steppes, then only thing I had a little confrontation with was the yomi fragment, which required 4 trys, otherwise it was a walk in the park...Got the Purple Chocobo before the last fights tho... By here I havent finished 1/3 of the game :/

Same with other things, went to the chocobo races with my lvl99 Blue Chocobo, won 7 straight, left the place... GG.

How good is that?

I accidently leveled my monsters too high? Shouldnt be possible to unbalance a game that ez.

I don't even feel like playing it anymore, for what goal should I? There is no encounter that is harder and the story does not give me anything.

I want bosses that's still almost impossible alltho you have everything totally maxed out, with the exact right accessories, with everything in place. With the new (actually awsome) battlesystem you really have to be fast sometimes, and that I like but, they have to take more advantage of that system.

Final Fantasy EZ-2 Kupo Edition...

You can do better Square.

Last edited by zpd; May 02 2012 at 07:21 PM..
zpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 02 2012, 09:05 PM   #10
Singularity
1 tree. 1000 matches.

Gil: 2,555 [Donate]

I wasn't able to do the final battle on Normal, and even on Easy it was still quite a challenge. But I was probably under-levelled, and my monsters were poor too. All the rest of the game was quite simple, as opposed to XIII where I ran into trouble every other minute.
Singularity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 02 2012, 09:08 PM   #11
Agent Dunham
TRAB PU KCIP

Gil: 7,350 [Donate]

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpd View Post
Well, for me they are way too easy..

I have played several FF's, mostly VII and X tho and what I liked in those games was that you could spend a huge amount of hours into whatever you'd like and still the game remained balanced. You had to really make yourself worthy the title of "Overpowered"
The use of "those games" suggests that you are in fact referring to both VII and X, which makes me wonder if my copy of FFVII is broken. Or stolen from an education facility for the mentally retarded.

[20th January 09:05:11] Aurelia I don't speak diva. I speak human being.

[20:42:05] Whiplash I'm never going to use my maternity leave, why can't I exchange it for period leave?
Agent Dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 03 2012, 05:51 AM   #12
Reikendude
Moogle

Gil: 110 [Donate]

Quote:

When I first reached the Archylte Steppe I stayed there for like 1 day and farmed, everything, just ran around and nuked, got 1 blue chocobo and 1 red chocobo.I farmed Potent crystals for a while and leveled those to max, now the game is just silly....

In the continuing storyline I one-shot everything before my first ruinga have landed (Many battles ended with 00:00:00 of battle duration), and I have beaten every hard boss there is on the steppes, then only thing I had a little confrontation with was the yomi fragment, which required 4 trys, otherwise it was a walk in the park...Got the Purple Chocobo before the last fights tho... By here I havent finished 1/3 of the game :/

Same with other things, went to the chocobo races with my lvl99 Blue Chocobo, won 7 straight, left the place... GG.
I understand that you like farming (As I do too) but you really can't blame the producers for this. MOST people don't spend a day farming so of course the game isn't going to be able to compensate for that. It is one thing to complain that a game is inherently too easy during a normal playthrough, but something completely different once you introduce farming into the mix. It was your choice to farm to begin with. You can't get mad because you're over-levelled after you over-levelled yourself.

Quote:
How good is that?

I accidently leveled my monsters too high? Shouldnt be possible to unbalance a game that ez.

I don't even feel like playing it anymore, for what goal should I? There is no encounter that is harder and the story does not give me anything.
Pretty much every final fantasy game is like this. Back in FF8, if you took the time to level Ifrit up to max level with just Seifer, then the rest of the game was a piece of cake. But very few people actually do things like this and then COMPLAIN about it.

Besides, if you want a challenge, you can give yourself one. You are not restricted to using only your level 99 chocobos, try using different monsters/paradigms. If you REALLY want a challenge, do a minimalist run.

The challenge is out there, if you really want it.

Quote:
I want bosses that's still almost impossible alltho you have everything totally maxed out, with the exact right accessories, with everything in place. With the new (actually awsome) battlesystem you really have to be fast sometimes, and that I like but, they have to take more advantage of that system.
I can see where this is coming from, as while most FF's had the one clinching boss (Omega, Ultima, Ozma, etc) that seems to be the one thing that FF13-2 lacks. I am pretty late in the game myself and I have only run into a few things that have given me trouble (The behemoth and the Schrodingers in Chapter 6 kill me every time). Even the super-bosses like Atlas and Royal Ripeness were not really hard at all.

I have heard, however, that some of the bosses in the DLC are pretty formidable. If you want a reason to keep playing, I'd say your reason should be to try and find something that can kill you. Those damn Schrodingers might give you a run for your money.
Reikendude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 03 2012, 10:45 AM   #13
zpd
Moogle

Gil: 120 [Donate]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reikendude View Post
I understand that you like farming (As I do too) but you really can't blame the producers for this. MOST people don't spend a day farming so of course the game isn't going to be able to compensate for that. It is one thing to complain that a game is inherently too easy during a normal playthrough, but something completely different once you introduce farming into the mix. It was your choice to farm to begin with. You can't get mad because you're over-levelled after you over-levelled yourself.

Pretty much every final fantasy game is like this. Back in FF8, if you took the time to level Ifrit up to max level with just Seifer, then the rest of the game was a piece of cake. But very few people actually do things like this and then COMPLAIN about it.

Besides, if you want a challenge, you can give yourself one. You are not restricted to using only your level 99 chocobos, try using different monsters/paradigms. If you REALLY want a challenge, do a minimalist run.

The challenge is out there, if you really want it.

I can see where this is coming from, as while most FF's had the one clinching boss (Omega, Ultima, Ozma, etc) that seems to be the one thing that FF13-2 lacks. I am pretty late in the game myself and I have only run into a few things that have given me trouble (The behemoth and the Schrodingers in Chapter 6 kill me every time). Even the super-bosses like Atlas and Royal Ripeness were not really hard at all.

I have heard, however, that some of the bosses in the DLC are pretty formidable. If you want a reason to keep playing, I'd say your reason should be to try and find something that can kill you. Those damn Schrodingers might give you a run for your money.

Point taken, let's just say I found it more of a challenge in the past FF's regarding the farm. ie me and my friend had 340h in FFX and we still havent done it all, that I miss but I can in a sort of way understand why they've made it easier, for a broader clientele.

And ye sure, the challenge is out there if I dont farm, but wth... that's probably the main thing I like about FF, so kinda hard for me to skip. If the story would have been better I maybe would consider this but not at this moment.

I somewhat have a problem with NOT playing stuff I really like, for example changing the chocobos, tried others but find them very soothing. It would feel strange to struggle in fights just because the kicks, when I know I have a lvl99 chocobo waiting to unleash it's craziness.

That could have been solved with one easy step, link the levels according to crux/fragments completion, then I would all along the story know that I would get better, and some of the bosses would be totally unbeatable until late game progress.

Looking forward to the Schrodingers, sounds intresting
zpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 09 2013, 11:38 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Yours_Truly View Post
Did anyone else find the battles too easy? I feel like there should be a hard mode.
how do you find Koboldroid yin in final fantasy 13-2
Lord Roddington is offline   Reply With Quote