Go Back   Final Fantasy XIII Forums > Network > Fabula Nova Crystallis News
Register Forum Rules FAQChatbox Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old Mar 27 2012, 05:33 AM   #1
NotitsMan
hOnK

Gil: 3,270 [Donate]
Default Lightning DLC Named! Requiem of the Goddess Coming in May!

That's right, the Lightning DLC has finally been given a name. "Requiem of the Goddess" will feature Caius and Lightning locked in battle. Reportedly, the DLC will feature a different sort of combat than what we've come to expect in XIII-2. What this alludes to remains to be seen; given Lightning's status as a servant of the goddess and the power that entails, it's not surprising that we can expect something a bit different. If you're feeling the strain of that wait, don't worry. It's very likely we'll be hearing a great deal more about this DLC very soon.

NotitsMan is offline   Send a message via MSN to NotitsMan Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27 2012, 05:41 AM   #2

Gil: 1,965 [Donate]

Woah. Thanks for the post.

I bet the game play is going to be like how it is at the beginning of XIII-2

"I hope you havenít forgotten my role in this little story.

Iím the leading man.

You know what they say about the leading man?

He never dies.
"

-Balthier from Final Fantasy XII

Ffamran mied Bunansa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27 2012, 05:58 AM   #3
Jake
I'M ON TOP

Gil: 620 [Donate]

Should have just named it "The Proper Ending."

I'm objectifying you. Sexually.

[19:01:12] Ethan Don't click unless you want to see the hole
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27 2012, 06:01 AM   #4
Chat Noir
durareriroru

Gil: 1,520 [Donate]

Things that I want to happen in the DLC:
- Exploration in Valhalla
- Assassin's Creed/Uncharted feature where you can climb and jump around on buildings and shit
- Be able to use eidolons in travelling around, at the very least Odin
- Combat system not to be a card game
- More secrets about the Gods and Valhalla revealed
- The whole DLC to be at least 2 hours long to complete

Guesses on what we'll be doing in the DLC
- Create an army, meaning collect monsters/Eidolons, in preparation for the battle against Caius
- Find out more about the secrets of Valhalla, if there are any
- "Final battle" against Caius, similar to the opening of XIII-2 but using the new combat system
Chat Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27 2012, 06:29 AM   #5
NotitsMan
hOnK

Collecting Eidolons wouldn't be bad at all. There was mention of something like that in one of the fragments on Caius stating that he'd acquired Bahamut's 'eidolith'. I wonder if that will be delved further into? I really would like to understand why Lightning can summon Bahamut herself. It's certainly not 'the' Bahamut. Perhaps these 'eidoliths' are the key to that and a part of Valhalla?

Old Mar 27 2012, 06:33 AM   #6
Lymle
。◕‿◕。

Gil: 400 [Donate]

For some reason I'm not as excited for this as I think I should be.
Still looking foward to it, though, especially the "god-like" combat system.
Old Mar 27 2012, 06:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chat Noir View Post
Things that I want to happen in the DLC:
- Exploration in Valhalla
- Assassin's Creed/Uncharted feature where you can climb and jump around on buildings and shit
- Be able to use eidolons in travelling around, at the very least Odin
- Combat system not to be a card game
- More secrets about the Gods and Valhalla revealed
- The whole DLC to be at least 2 hours long to complete

- Create an army, meaning collect monsters/Eidolons, in preparation for the battle against Caius
- "Final battle" against Caius, similar to the opening of XIII-2 but using the new combat system
This is an awesome list.

Iím the leading man.

He never dies.
"

Old Mar 27 2012, 06:57 AM   #8
Ethan
Administrator

Gil: 3,519 [Donate]

Well that's a cool and seemingly befitting name.

Ethan is offline   Send a message via MSN to Ethan Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27 2012, 02:20 PM   #9
.simon
Rural Juror

Gil: 500 [Donate]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Penalty View Post
Collecting Eidolons wouldn't be bad at all. There was mention of something like that in one of the fragments on Caius stating that he'd acquired Bahamut's 'eidolith'. I wonder if that will be delved further into? I really would like to understand why Lightning can summon Bahamut herself. It's certainly not 'the' Bahamut. Perhaps these 'eidoliths' are the key to that and a part of Valhalla?
Can't they be the crystals l'Cie use to summon them? Anyway, if Eidolons are nothing more than Valhalla's monsters, it shouldn't be hard for Lightning to tame them like Serah did with Gran Pulse's, especially given her new powers.
.simon is offline   Send a message via MSN to .simon Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27 2012, 04:53 PM   #10
Chat Noir
durareriroru

Quote:
Collecting Eidolons wouldn't be bad at all. There was mention of something like that in one of the fragments on Caius stating that he'd acquired Bahamut's 'eidolith'.
Oh, well, uhm, wasn't that because all Guardians are turned into l'Cie?
Old Mar 27 2012, 06:52 PM   #11
NotitsMan
hOnK

Well that would seem to contradict the earlier established lore that l'Cie all have a completely unique crystal that often reflects some element of their personality. If Caius simply had a different Bahamut as his Eidolon... Well, that's pretty lazy, but what do you expect? It's entirely possible that Lightning just managed to tame some other version of Bahamut as well that just happened to match her color scheme, but that too seems lazy. I wouldn't be surprised if they abandoned the supposed uniqueness of every Eidolon in XIII-2, but I remain hopeful of some sort of explanation.

Old Mar 27 2012, 07:11 PM   #12
Sentinel Prime
Autobot Defector

Gil: 450 [Donate]

Hope it's not just fighting Caius. Gasp! What if they change the combat style to Versus/KH as a test run, I would faint.
Sentinel Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27 2012, 09:13 PM   #13

^ woaah. highly doubt it, but that would be so cool.

Iím the leading man.

He never dies.
"

Old Mar 27 2012, 11:56 PM   #14
OnewithaBlade
One Tough Cookie

Gil: 610 [Donate]

As long as the battle system is not just QTE.
Old Mar 27 2012, 11:58 PM   #15
seaprion
welcome

Gil: 300 [Donate]

The concept of DLCs as test runs though, not just for SE or this particular DLC but in general, is interesting and I, for one, would gladly accept experimentation if it was to take ideas and move them forward (without implying improvement here, which is highly subjective; just change). This way you could have small scale tests and feedback which can be then utilized for bigger projects, of course as long as these tests don't ruin the experience of your initial idea (the DLC in this instance).
seaprion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28 2012, 06:52 AM   #16
Chat Noir
durareriroru

Quote:
Well that would seem to contradict the earlier established lore that l'Cie all have a completely unique crystal that often reflects some element of their personality. If Caius simply had a different Bahamut as his Eidolon... Well, that's pretty lazy, but what do you expect? It's entirely possible that Lightning just managed to tame some other version of Bahamut as well that just happened to match her color scheme, but that too seems lazy. I wouldn't be surprised if they abandoned the supposed uniqueness of every Eidolon in XIII-2, but I remain hopeful of some sort of explanation.
Actually DP, they kind of explained it.. in the Ultimania only.

http://finalfantasy-xiii.net/forums/...42&postcount=1

Quote:
Also, because that just reminds me (but going off memory right now), one of the artists wanted the summons to have more of a connection/meaning than just 'thing that appears and fights'. So for Lightning Odin kind of represents her image of a father figure, and for Snow the Shiva sisters are like Serah and Lightning. I don't think they mention anything for the other characters, though.
At least for Lightning's Odin and Snow's Shiva Sisters. I wished they explained more about it and the other characters' eidolons as well.
Old Mar 28 2012, 06:41 PM   #17
NotitsMan
hOnK

Well, I knew that all the Eidolons were at one point supposed to be unique. What I was saying was that it seems like they've ditched this idea altogether with little to no explanation. The best we have is that Caius obtained Bahamut's eidolith- either because he was a l'Cie or through some other means. My point was that if Bahamut was his Eidolon simply because he was once a l'Cie, then Eidolons are clearly not unique, which does directly contradict what we were told about them in XIII.

Old Mar 28 2012, 06:49 PM   #18
Chat Noir
durareriroru

Quote:
Well, I knew that all the Eidolons were at one point supposed to be unique. What I was saying was that it seems like they've ditched this idea altogether with little to no explanation. The best we have is that Caius obtained Bahamut's eidolith- either because he was a l'Cie or through some other means. My point was that if Bahamut was his Eidolon simply because he was once a l'Cie, then Eidolons are clearly not unique, which does directly contradict what we were told about them in XIII.
Ah, yeah, I got you.
Old Mar 28 2012, 07:35 PM   #19
Maleficence
Moogle

Gil: 25 [Donate]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
Should have just named it "The Proper Ending."
Yeah, if they don't fuck it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chat Noir View Post
Oh my god. :\ I didn't think they would do a card game, because that would just piss everyone off and they know that- moreso than what they're already doing to us, but you're probably right about that Noir. I can't really see much of anything else with a "new battle system" besides your predictions on the matter.
Maleficence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28 2012, 07:44 PM   #20
Leaferian
Leafť, Raspatil Slayer

Gil: 770 [Donate]

Well, I've just fired up XIII to check the in-game description of and information about Eidolons and last night I was scouring Youtube for the various scenes where Eidolons are mentioned. It's not stated anywhere in-game that each Eidolon is unique to the l'Cie that summons them; In fact, if the in-game definition is correct Eidolons are as close to fal'Cie as Etro ever got around to creating. It says that they are her messengers, sent to l'Cie who have lost their way to either spur them into action or cut their lives short.

The internet tells me that one of the creators claimed that each Eidolon would be unique to the person who summoned it and was meant to be representative of their personality; However, as far as I've been able to find this was never said to be the in-game explanation but rather a designing aim. In XIII-2, it's claimed in the fragments that Caius was in fact a l'Cie who performed Incarnate Summoning, which fuses a person and their Eidolon together at the cost of their life. (Reminiscent of Braska's Final Aeon) It isn't outright stated that Bahamut was his l'Cie that I remember, but there was a fragment that said that Caius had somehow obtained a Bahamut Eidolith. According to the wiki this is the eye on his sword, although I haven't found any evidence to support that in particular.

In the beginning of XIII-2 you see not only Chaos Bahamut but whatever version of Bahamut it is that Lightning summons, a reddish version of the Shiva Sisters, and when Lightning is riding forward across the battlefield on Odin you can see a small army of other Odin creatures behind her which I think are different colors. The scene only lasts a few seconds though, and my eyes are terrible so I could be wrong.

I think it's most likely that the Eidolons in the first game WERE meant to represent parts of their personality or things lacking in their lives (For example, Alexander could be said to be the safety and security Hope feels he's lost), but only from a design standpoint and not a mythology. The herald of Etro that the l'Cie most connects with, the one that is most representative of them, is the one who comes. At the same time though, I think they must be their own races or at least subject to being changed/split from their original selves by the personality of the l'Cie who owns them. (Such as Chaos Bahamut)
Leaferian is offline   Send a message via MSN to Leaferian Send a message via Yahoo to Leaferian Send a message via Skype™ to Leaferian Reply With Quote