PDA

View Full Version : FFIV DS: Official Name Pronounciations

Kuja Las Vegas
Aug 03 2009, 02:58 AM
Wow @ the "official" pronunciations of some of the names of people. At having actually played previous versions of FFIV, the "official" pronunciations really struck out at me. Needless to say, there is voice acting in some cut scenes in this game.

Yang is pronounced like Young. Several times in a couple of cut scenes. Strangely enough, Young is also a valid Asian name. I guess they thought Yang how normal people would pronounce it would sound too much like "wang."

Rubicante is apparently pronounced like picante peppers. RUBY-KAHN-TAY. You basically only hear it once, when Edge confronts the guy in Eblan cave. I always thought it was Rubicante with a silent e, like "Ruby-Can't."

I don't care about Cecil. See-syll? Ceh'cille? Doesn't matter. But I thought for sure that Yang would be Yang, not Young. It's funny how sometimes when prequels / sequels / remakes are made to a game, the actual pronunciation differs from what you thought it was in the time when they had no voice acting.

Like in FF7, Mako energy is pronounced MAH-KO in Crisis Core / Advent / Dirge. I thought it was Make-O. Seriously.

Astraia
Aug 03 2009, 03:14 AM
Names in katakana will give you a clue as to how they are pronounced.

Naunen
Aug 03 2009, 06:48 AM
Well, you must suck at pronunciations then.

Daemon
Aug 03 2009, 09:01 AM
You also have to remember that of those names, only Cecil is English, if that. Yang is Chinese, Rubicante is Italian and Makou is Japanese, so they'd be pronounced accordingly. All of the pronunciations you've given in bold sound how they're supposed to.

Neal
Aug 03 2009, 09:28 AM
They're also American voice actors. Even though they say "choke-o-boe" in FFX instead of chocobo I don't say that because it's retarded. I don't use Mak-o either because I think that's wrong, I know that word as Make-o because thats how I read it in the first place and there's a shark of the same name and spelling prounounced "make-o", so. :wtf:

.simon
Aug 03 2009, 10:46 AM
I've always pronounced them the "official" way.

As for the Mako energy, I've always said Mah-ko, but that's the way you'd read it in Italian.

Pain Clone
Aug 03 2009, 12:23 PM
iv alway said mah-ko, make-o doesn't sound right imo.

Kuja Las Vegas
Aug 03 2009, 01:18 PM
So basically, you have to be either Italian or Japanese in order to pronounce names correctly?
DAMN AMERICAN PUBLIC SCHOOL EDUCATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Neal, how do you pronounce Chocobo? I thought it was choke-o-bo.

Darkangel-XI
Aug 03 2009, 08:47 PM
I always pronounced it Make-oh, like the shark name.

Neal
Aug 03 2009, 11:37 PM
So basically, you have to be either Italian or Japanese in order to pronounce names correctly?
DAMN AMERICAN PUBLIC SCHOOL EDUCATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Neal, how do you pronounce Chocobo? I thought it was choke-o-bo.
choco, as in chocolate, and bo like... boe. chok-a-boe

Aurelia
Aug 04 2009, 01:31 AM
They're also American voice actors. Even though they say "choke-o-boe" in FFX instead of chocobo I don't say that because it's retarded. I don't use Mak-o either because I think that's wrong, I know that word as Make-o because thats how I read it in the first place and there's a shark of the same name and spelling prounounced "make-o", so. :wtf:

:wub: So I'm not the only person that pronounced Mako as "make-o."

BUTTCHEEKIES, OOH
Aug 04 2009, 03:39 PM
lol make-o? really? That's the first time I've ever heard that.

I've always pronounced them the "official" way.

As for the Mako energy, I've always said Mah-ko, but that's the way you'd read it in Italian.
Same here, but for me it's in french. Most of the FFs I've played were in french so I've pretty much just pronounced it the way you'd do it in the language. Although Tidus is pronounced as Tee-dus, I still call him Ty-dus. It sounds less stupid imo

It's true that in english, the pronounciations are not all that obvious. I mean this is shit people honestly fight over, which is pretty sad.